While Venice was under French domination, the former convent was used as an infirmary, a warehouse, a stable and as a garrison. It was finally abandoned for decades, until Venice fell under the Austrian domination.
With the advent of the Industrial Revolution, while under Austrian domination, the Giudecca island became the industrial zone of Venice.
Multiple manufacturing enterprises, typically under German ownership, sprouted up all over the island, including the Stucky (flour mills), Dreher (beer) and Junghans (clocks) factories. These new industrial factories provided thousands of jobs for Venetians during difficult economic times.
In 1887, the former church was sold to a private company owned by the Herion family, which transferred its garment factory from the center of Venice to the new industrial hub on the Giudecca.
The factory produced garments for 100 years until it was closed down in 1987.